Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dustin.The.Gaming.Dad  (Read 2611 times)

Offline dustin.the.gaming.dad
Dustin.The.Gaming.Dad
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »

Ok guys i have a YouTube channel where I've started posting up my gameplay videos and added commentary to it. At first i just did it for fun but i recently decided to make a real go at it. So I've posted the links to all my videos below please go through them and let me know what you think. What am i doing right, what do i need to change or just plain get rid of i really appreciate it. At the moment it's all Madden videos but i will be expanding that soon.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
Re: Dustin.The.Gaming.Dad
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
Hey Dustin. I skimmed through 3 of your videos (sorry, don't have the time today to watch through full videos. But to see your progression, I skimmed the first, middle and last). I'll admit, I don't watch YouTube channels very often unless I'm looking for something specific about a game. But, pulling from my radio/tv/film degree, here are some of my initial thoughts:

Your narration style isn't too bad. It did keep me engaged. Had I known more about football, I think I would have known more of the jokes and the details you were talking about. I noticed you seemed more comfortable in the later 2 videos. That will only get better the more videos you make. Are you narrating while you play or afterwards?

The recording was pretty good quality. Are you using a capture card or were you using the Share feature? I'd look into getting a capture card. I record for Facebook once in a while through Share and find the quality to be dumbed down and compressed a bit. Capture cards are typically better quality recording, IMO. I also notice there seems to be a better frame rate. It's something to look into at least. If you're happy with Share, you can get away with it to save some money.

The biggest problem I had that took me away from the videos was the recording quality. A lot of times you over-modulated the sound when you spoke louder and when you pronounce P's and T's, there was the pop of the microphone. When speaking louder, you'll generally want to move away from the microphone. The pops happen naturally in microphones that are bare and you'll want to get a mic with a pop screen. That'll take care of that. Since you want to get more serious, a good microphone is an investment you might want to spend money on. What are you recording sound on now?
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »
Hey Dustin. I skimmed through 3 of your videos (sorry, don't have the time today to watch through full videos. But to see your progression, I skimmed the first, middle and last). I'll admit, I don't watch YouTube channels very often unless I'm looking for something specific about a game. But, pulling from my radio/tv/film degree, here are some of my initial thoughts:

Your narration style isn't too bad. It did keep me engaged. Had I known more about football, I think I would have known more of the jokes and the details you were talking about. I noticed you seemed more comfortable in the later 2 videos. That will only get better the more videos you make. Are you narrating while you play or afterwards?

The recording was pretty good quality. Are you using a capture card or were you using the Share feature? I'd look into getting a capture card. I record for Facebook once in a while through Share and find the quality to be dumbed down and compressed a bit. Capture cards are typically better quality recording, IMO. I also notice there seems to be a better frame rate. It's something to look into at least. If you're happy with Share, you can get away with it to save some money.

The biggest problem I had that took me away from the videos was the recording quality. A lot of times you over-modulated the sound when you spoke louder and when you pronounce P's and T's, there was the pop of the microphone. When speaking louder, you'll generally want to move away from the microphone. The pops happen naturally in microphones that are bare and you'll want to get a mic with a pop screen. That'll take care of that. Since you want to get more serious, a good microphone is an investment you might want to spend money on. What are you recording sound on now?
I really appreciate it. I record audio after doing the game but am considering recording audio during gameplay to possibly get a more animated reaction out of me. Yeah I'm using basic Share Factory and it's really limiting. I'm also using a bare bones mic at the moment also. I am focusing on Christmas right now and after the holidays looking at getting an El Gato capture card and a legit mic to use. Any suggestions on the mic? Also should i think about getting a camera or is my voice engaging enough for the videos?

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »

I really appreciate it. I record audio after doing the game but am considering recording audio during gameplay to possibly get a more animated reaction out of me. Yeah I'm using basic Share Factory and it's really limiting. I'm also using a bare bones mic at the moment also. I am focusing on Christmas right now and after the holidays looking at getting an El Gato capture card and a legit mic to use. Any suggestions on the mic? Also should i think about getting a camera or is my voice engaging enough for the videos?

Then you seem to be on the right track :) The El Gatos are great from what I hear. I was looking at an older one that does HD but can still work off component. If I get a capture card, I need it to record on a PS2 as well as PS3 and PS4. One of these days, I want to do a YouTube/Twitch channel playing the old games for nostalgia. Mostly games that have never been talked about being remade and forgotten to time (games such as Run Like Hell). But enough about my pipe dreams :D

Sorry, can't help on mics. Last time I looked at mics was in 2006/7 so I've been out of it for a long time. You can probably do some research on what other YouTube commentators use and work from there. As long as you can plug it into a computer, you'll be good. The Elgato will record into a computer anyway so you should be able to record sound simultaneously. But again, I have no personal experience in this so you'll want to just do some research.

Since you'll be getting an Elgato, you'll want to make sure you have a powerful computer. HD requires quite the processing power to record and edit. From what I remember in my research on HD capture, they recommend an i7 processor and decent graphics card and decent RAM for best results. Assuming you are looking at the HD60, here are the specs they recommend. Keep in mind, there are other models listed there.

PC: Windows 7 SP1 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
    Mac: OS X 10.9 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
    Game Capture HD60: 2nd generation Intel Core i5 CPU
    (i5-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost
    Game Capture HD: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (or comparable)
    Stream Command: 2nd generation Intel Core i7 CPU
    (i7-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost. Windows 7 or later;
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »

Then you seem to be on the right track :) The El Gatos are great from what I hear. I was looking at an older one that does HD but can still work off component. If I get a capture card, I need it to record on a PS2 as well as PS3 and PS4. One of these days, I want to do a YouTube/Twitch channel playing the old games for nostalgia. Mostly games that have never been talked about being remade and forgotten to time (games such as Run Like Hell). But enough about my pipe dreams :D

Sorry, can't help on mics. Last time I looked at mics was in 2006/7 so I've been out of it for a long time. You can probably do some research on what other YouTube commentators use and work from there. As long as you can plug it into a computer, you'll be good. The Elgato will record into a computer anyway so you should be able to record sound simultaneously. But again, I have no personal experience in this so you'll want to just do some research.

Since you'll be getting an Elgato, you'll want to make sure you have a powerful computer. HD requires quite the processing power to record and edit. From what I remember in my research on HD capture, they recommend an i7 processor and decent graphics card and decent RAM for best results. Assuming you are looking at the HD60, here are the specs they recommend. Keep in mind, there are other models listed there.

PC: Windows 7 SP1 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
    Mac: OS X 10.9 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
    Game Capture HD60: 2nd generation Intel Core i5 CPU
    (i5-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost
    Game Capture HD: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (or comparable)
    Stream Command: 2nd generation Intel Core i7 CPU
    (i7-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost. Windows 7 or later;
Again thanks man i really appreciate this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk