Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anyone still play PS2 online?  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
Anyone still play PS2 online?
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
Been trying to figure this out. Are there still people out there that still play certain games online on the PS2? I wouldn\'t mind playing a little Battlefront or something if there\'s still a community.
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
i have both ps2 and ps3 and i never play games online before.  even my computer and laptop, i never try online gaming.  don\'t know how and lost interest.  unless you include messenger like yahoo messenger where i used to play tic-tac-toe online with another chat buddy or other simple games online.

Offline Kurt Angle

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: Supes1975
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
I never used my ps2 online ever! Occasionally I will play my ps3 online but not much.

Offline videoholic

• Silly little freak
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »
Football was fun.  But chatting was a pain.
I wear a necklace now because I like to know when I\'m upside down.
 kopking: \"i really think that i how that guy os on he weekend\"
TheOmen speaking of women: \"they\'re good at what they do, for what they are.\"
Swifdi:

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
Quote from: videoholic
Football was fun.  But chatting was a pain.

Battlefront was my shit. Played that game a lot online. Get me in a TIE Fighter and I was deadly.

Apparently there is a community that does still coordingate PS2 online gaming. You have to use your computer as a server or something. Seems complicated.

Incase anyone cares:
http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/

Offline Cerberus

• I\'ve got 3 heads!
  • Legendary Member
  • ffffffffff
    • Random Stuff.
  • PSN ID: Surebrec
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »
never played my PS2 online, I knew it could be done, just never had the patience to figure out how to do it.

was it like with PS3 with a dedicated PSN account, or was it just certain games that allowed it?
Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you. I don't care where you've  been or what you plan to do. I am the resurrection and I am the light. I  couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
Quote from: Cerberus
never played my PS2 online, I knew it could be done, just never had the patience to figure out how to do it.

was it like with PS3 with a dedicated PSN account, or was it just certain games that allowed it?

Certain games. All you did was plug in a CAT5 cable, put in a memory card and then used the special CD that came with either the PS2 or network adapter and voila. PS3 is much easier though :bounce:

Offline Cerberus

• I\'ve got 3 heads!
  • Legendary Member
  • ffffffffff
    • Random Stuff.
  • PSN ID: Surebrec
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:18:13 AM »
ah right

don\'t think I had any online capable PS2 games, so it\'s a moot point for me anyway. I wasn\'t sure if it was specific games, or whether it was an account based service.
Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you. I don't care where you've  been or what you plan to do. I am the resurrection and I am the light. I  couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
Quote from: Cerberus
ah right

don\'t think I had any online capable PS2 games, so it\'s a moot point for me anyway. I wasn\'t sure if it was specific games, or whether it was an account based service.

I never had to sign up for anything.

Sucks, I want to give this a try but I misplaced my USB headset I used to use. I can\'t seem to find it anywhere. I paid good money for that too :(

Offline Derri
  • PSN ID: Dead1y-Derri
Re: Anyone still play PS2 online?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
I actually never played PS2 online. I never knew you could and my internet back in the PS2 days was less than impressive. We didn't even have router until the year before I got my PS3.

Offline Viper_Fujax

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:17:28 PM »
I actually never played PS2 online. I never knew you could and my internet back in the PS2 days was less than impressive. We didn't even have router until the year before I got my PS3.

yea, it was REALLY fricken exciting when that thing came out lol. Was this other brick you put on the back of the ps2, and it came out a little bit of time after the ps2 launched

We actually had the best madden league in existence during those ps2 days on this forum in it's hay-day. Doesn't matter all of the tools and technology EA puts into madden leagues, nothing will be as good as we had it. Full seasons, drafts, people playing their games (and everyone jumped on the people who didn't, and we booted people if we had to), good crap-talking. It worked because it was a community. not just random people that flake easily

but no, I haven't played any ps2 games other than like jet moto on my ps3's backwards compatibility. I really doubt ps2 online servers are still running
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:20:44 PM by Viper_Fujax »
You\'re never too old to burn to death in a fire

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 07:06:59 AM »

yea, it was REALLY fricken exciting when that thing came out lol. Was this other brick you put on the back of the ps2, and it came out a little bit of time after the ps2 launched

We actually had the best madden league in existence during those ps2 days on this forum in it's hay-day. Doesn't matter all of the tools and technology EA puts into madden leagues, nothing will be as good as we had it. Full seasons, drafts, people playing their games (and everyone jumped on the people who didn't, and we booted people if we had to), good crap-talking. It worked because it was a community. not just random people that flake easily

but no, I haven't played any ps2 games other than like jet moto on my ps3's backwards compatibility. I really doubt ps2 online servers are still running

You'd be surprised how many actually are. I jumped on Battlefront a couple months ago and there were still quite a number of people playing.

Here's one list of games affected (a lot are PS2 games)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/08/gamespy-shutdown-list-borderlands-halo-battlefield/

Now this is a reddit article I found (through google, lol) about how a lot of games on the list have migrated toward GameRanger.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/cgmuoi3

The only thing I haven't been able to find is if this list of games only pertains to PC running on GameRanger or is it all encompassing of PC and PS2 where PS2 games can be played on GameRanger. Seeing as Game Ranger is for Windows based systems, I'm assuming that PS2 multiplayer will be affected and kill off the remaining multiplayer games.

Based on past research. There are only a couple options left available. Rebuy those old PS2 games on PC (I'm probably doing that with Battlefront 1 and 2 now), LAN your PS2s with a few buddies or there is a workaround that is very complicated and haven't been able to make sense of it :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:10:05 AM by Titan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk