Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ouya gets 10 million from Alibaba  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
Ouya gets 10 million from Alibaba
« on: January 31, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »
The Android based operating system gets an additional $10 million investment to bring the Ouya software to Alibaba's own set top box. Now the question I'm sure is lingering in everyones mind is, people actually still buy this piece of shit? I thought this went bust and Ouya closed down. I haven't heard anything of the Ouya since launch and have never even seen it in a store.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ouya-gets-10-million-investment-from-e-commerce-co/1100-6424994/
Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba has invested $10 million in the Android-based Ouya microconsole. According to a report on the Wall Street Journal, Alibaba has partnered with Ouya Inc. to discuss a plan that will incorporate the Ouya's software into Alibaba's own "set top-box."

China lifted its 13-year ban on the sale of video game consoles in 2013. Since then, a number of companies have entered the potentially lucrative Chinese market, with Microsoft launching the Xbox One in China in September last year. Sony's own plans to launch the PS4 in China were delayed earlier this month. Reports of Ouya entering the Chinese market surfaced in September last year, with allegations stating that the company had partnered with smartphone giant Xiaomi Inc to bring Ouya games to Xiaomi's streaming boxes and smart TVs.

Alibaba is an electronic commerce company that offers a variety of sales services, with an estimated market value of $231 billion as of September last year. The company's consumer-to-consumer site Taobao ranks in the top 20 of the most-visited websites in the world.

The original Kickstarter campaign for the Ouya concluded with $8.6 million in crowdfunding. The company went on to secure an additional $15 million through venture capital funding in 2013. The console officially went on sale for $99 in 2013, but it has failed to gather much attention.
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

Offline Derri
  • PSN ID: Dead1y-Derri
Re: Ouya gets 10 million from Alibaba
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »
Ouya isn't in most regional stores. I thought it was a buy online kind of deal only. Its still getting games and everything. Apparently developers quite like it for the indie and mobile games. I did note from a quick google that it was sent to retail stores but it was very lukewarm apparently in stores and to cut costs it seems its moved to an online platform.

Personally for £150 (£99 for the console and say £50 worth of games)  its quite an attractive offer if you like that kind of stuff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk