Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is Ps2 really the best long term investment???  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Ktulu
    • http://
Is Ps2 really the best long term investment???
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
Sega Genesis/SNES outsold the PSX/Saturn in their first year.  IT HAPPENS EVERY GENERATIONAL GAP.

Offline Paul
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2000, 05:29:42 PM »
. Developers are still making PC games - yet the PC gaming scene has a smaller userbase than the Dreamcast. EXPLAIN THAT

Just curious. Where do u get the statistic that the PC gamer base is smaller?? I always thought there\'s more PC gamers than console gamers. Do u mean by games software sales figure or what?

As for the PS2, i think it\'ll dominate(or at least gain a very respectable lead and share) the console scene starting from next year. if you remember, the PSX and Saturn was still neck to neck battle(with a little advantage at the PSX side) until the launch of FF7 when the PSX took a turbo boost and stomped the Saturn to the ground permanently.

next year, we\'ll see high profile titles like MGS2, GT3 and all those Square\'s RPG rolling in - in fact, you can consider this as the \'real\' launch!

Offline M4
  • Cosmic Hippo
...!
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2000, 08:35:36 PM »
One thing that has really begun to disgust me about Sony fans is their offensive attitude. It\'s not enough to say that the Dreamcast will be outsold by the PS2 - I can accept that. Most likely it will happen (guaranteed to happen without shortage). After all, Sony had a 70 to 2 handicap (70 million PSX owners vs 2 million Saturn owners). A lobotimized monkey could win with those numbers - and NO marketing! But what bugs the hell out of me is that you... won\'t even give us the benefit of enjoying our machine for more than a year. WHY NOT? Why are you so damn nasty towards the Dreamcast? Why would a system with 5 million users, over 200 software titles, internet games and connectivity just up and "die"? What exactly do you think will happen to those 5 million people? Better yet, I want one of you to answer this. Please, answer this: When, in history, has a console with upwards of 5 million users and 200 software titles just "died"? How about this - when have all developers abandoned a system with 3 million users in it\'s first year in the US? Huh? Sorry? Come again? Why did Nintendo 64 survive DESPITE piss poor 3rd party support? Because of first party support. Sega has a greater diversity of 1st party games than Nintendo. Dreamcast is dirt cheap to develop for WHICH MEANS... a quick buck for developers WHICH MEANS... more niche titles and ports of popular PS2 titles (hey - let\'s milk the DC owners for money too). Don\'t believe me? Then look at ports of titles like RE, V8, Tony Hawk, etc on N64. And that thing cost a FORTUNE to develop for.

Seriously, knock that crap off. You\'ll win the war, but Dreamcast is NOT going to just die. Sega supported the Genesis for 5 years. Sega abandoned the 32X, Sega CD, Saturn because they sold poorly. Sound familiar? It\'s the same damn reason Nintendo abandoned the Virtual Boy, and Sony abandoned the betamax. Why in the hell would Sega abandon the Dreamcast? After all, they didn\'t abandon the Genesis. Take your silly ass little war, but don\'t tell me my machine will be abandoned by everybody next year. Developers are still making PC games - yet the PC gaming scene has a smaller userbase than the Dreamcast. EXPLAIN THAT. Thank you - again. You can\'t. It is just not going to die. At the very least, it will pull a N64. Developers are not going to ignore a userbase of 3 million (5 mill by march) - especially when development is dirt cheap, overhead is damn low, and profit per unit is higher than with other consoles.

My, your way of thinking is phenomenal. I agree with you - Dreamcast can\'t just simply up and die out. It has too much going for it... you made all the right points. :)
the earthquake hits the theater
but the operetta lingers
then the piano lid comes down
and breaks his ****ing fingers

Offline Astroboy2112
    • http://astroboy2112.tripod.com
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2000, 10:20:53 PM »
M4,
Yup, even though i don\'t agree with him on certain things i really think Ktulu is one of the best damn posters out there. He posts great stuff all the time.

Ginko,
I already finished Skyes (best of the best!) and im currently having a blast with Samba de Amigo! (great great party game and further proof that the japanese are weird ppl!) :)

Joyda,

Skyes of Arcadia is an excellent RPG with a unique vibe and feel to it. The game features a great plot, terrific graphics and effects, nice sound and music, as well as likeable characters (Vyse is one the best lead characters in a RPG ever)and flawless control. The game\'s world and evironments are also amazing (ppl live on islands that float in the sky and they use some wicked sky-ships to travel from place to place)

Astro :cool:
------------------
If you seek truth...
Follow Me!

Offline Ktulu
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2000, 06:00:32 AM »
I read it in PC Gamer.  There are significantly more Console gamers than PC gamers.  The successful PC games get around 400,000 - 600,000 sales.  Successful DC games - one million.  I\'ll go home and dig through my stack of mags and find it.

Here\'s something else to think about: The Sega Saturn amassed a paltry one hundred thousand sales in it\'s first 6 months.  One million sales in three years.  YET: it was still receiving ports of popular PSX games like Wipeout, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Dead or Alive, Toshinden, etc.  One million sales, and a platform that was costly to develop for.  Yet those developers still supplied games to it\'s customers; at least until Sega finally walked away from the machine.  Does that say anything to you?  Developers will NOT walk away from a quick buck - and there is no buck quicker in this generation than the Dreamcast.  At least three million customers (thats just today), dirt cheap development environment.  

All I\'m saying is that the Dreamcast will not die.  Nobody ignores three million potential sales - and we all know that number will grow.  At the very least, over it\'s lifespan it will gain 15 million customers.  At LEAST (wait until you see the $99 price drop).

Offline Lord of Darkness
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2000, 06:35:24 PM »
One little correction Ktulu, Tomb Raider was origionaly developed for the Saturn and ported to the PSX, then Sony bought them out with a contract saying they cannot port the Tomb Raider franchise to any other consol for a number of yoears.
In so many ways we live to follow the sun
In so many ways we exalt and fail as one
In so many ways we want so bad to be done
In so many ways we show our pain in unison
Bad Religion - \"In So Many Ways\"

Got Atheism?

Offline Ktulu
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2000, 05:03:34 AM »
LOL - Sony wasted their money then.  Saturn didn\'t survive long enough for Tomb Raider 2, and we all know it would\'ve been near impossible on N64.  But I could\'ve sworn Tomb Raider hit the PSX first - I remember it being a big deal as the first fully explorational game (before Mario)...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk